Riley Green’s song “I Wish Grandpas Never Died” has been one of the songs I’ve had on repeat… for plenty of reasons.
The song is a glorified wish list… twenty-one wishes to be precise. Hopes from never running out of a favorite cocktail to sports teams never losing at home (um… every team would have a .500 record) to heartfelt family hopes. From the bottom, to the tip top of my wish list, here goes nothing…
- High school home teams never lost. [see above… all .500 records, no fun]
- Every road was named Copperhead. [this would be confusing]
- Even cars had truck beds. [ugly]
- I wish every state had a Birmingham. [fun fact- only 2 do… Michigan and Alabama]
- I wish every porch had a swing.
- I wish Sunday’s on a creek bank would never end.
- I wish honky tonks didn’t have no closing time.
- The first time, seventeen, she was my everything kiss in a Chevrolet could happen every day.
- Monday mornings felt just like Friday nights.
- Wish I could learn to drive again.
- Back road drinkin’ kids never got caught.
- Coolers never run out of cold Bud Light- [I’m a Mich Golden guy, but I get his point…]
- Everybody knew all the words to “Mama Tried.”
- Girls you loved never gave back diamond rings. [Never happened to me but I can feel the meaning…]
- Good dogs never got gray and old.
- The price of gas was low and cotton was high.- [what can I say, I’m frugal.]
- Country music still got played on country radio.
- Farms never got sold- [as a farm boy growing up, this one carries a little more weight for me.]
- Kids still learned to say “sir” and “ma’am,” how to shake a hand. [A lost art, to say the least]
- Everybody overseas was gonna make it home. [wish I could have two #1s…]
- Grandpas never died. [Both my Grandpas had passed before I was born, but I sure would have loved to meet them]
Green just released a live-version of the song… enjoy!