Batters Up! is a FREE hitting competition in which kids compete against other kids their age to see who is crowned champion! The event is hosted by several Elks Lodges across the state as a family friendly activity for the local community.
Our Batters Up competition for the Brainerd lakes area is this Sunday (7/23) at Oscar Kristofferson Park in Baxter. The event registration is at noon with the competition starting at 1pm. The event is open to boys and girls ages 5- 15 with [rizes awarded to the top 3 in each age division.
The state competition for the winner in each category will be August 26, 11am in Gilman, MN. Additional information will be sent to the winners following the local competitions.
There will be five age groups as follows:
Boys (baseball only):
Girls (baseball or softball):
- Each participant will compete against children in the same age group by hitting balls for distance. The boys division will hit baseballs. The girls division will hit either baseballs or softballs.
- Participants are given up to 5 warm up swings and will then get ten swings to hit for distance.
- Participants accumulate points based on the distance each hit earns. The distance is determined at the point the ball stops (for 5-6 year olds) & at the point the ball first lands for all other age groups. Points are accumulated for all 10 hits. The zone chart outlines the various points awarded. Download a printable copy here.
- The champion in each individual age group will be determined by the participant with the most points (see Rules page for further details regarding ties).
- A complete set of rules can be downloaded here. Please download and read the rules prior to registering your child.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own bat & batting helmet. Shared bats & helmets will be available at the field if needed.
- Awards for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in each age group
Braienrd Elk, Dick Lyscio joined Bill Satre on the morning show Monday to talk about the event coming up on Sunday 7/23.